Thursday, November 29, 2012

More Awesome Science! (videos and resources)

Time for some more awesome science -
With some student friendly, ready to use teaching materials to match!



Time Lapse Erosion
Two amazing looks at erosion - aided by time lapse! Above,
Collaroy-Narrabeen Beach (Sydney, Australia) in June 2007. During 3 days,
almost 300 000 cubic meters of sand was removed from the beach.
Below, the erosion of a soccer ball over time.

Both work well with one of my freebie resources:
 



The Egg in the Bottle
Whoa! The fire consumes the oxygen - around 21% of the air inside the bottle.
This leaves relatively low pressure inside the bottle (as compared to
the relatively high pressure outside the bottle). This higher pressure outside
air pushes the egg in!

This demo is a great match with





The Ultimate Zoom-In Shot
 One of my (and student) favorites! 
A simulated zoom from the outskirts of the universe to the inside of an atom!
This is great for looking at relative sizes, and can easily be paired with my  
Cells vs. Atoms Worksheet.




The Blubber Glove

I have a friend who participated in a pain study at the National Institutes of Health.
She had to keep her hand in ice water as long as she could stand it - too bad
she didn't have blubber! Blubber is an incredible insulator, allowing very little heat to
transfer from the hand to the water!

This demo makes for some great lessons when paired with my Conduction Lab, 
Or get them all (and more) with the Heat Transfer Teacher Pack!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love the concept of your blog. I'm elementary, but I loved doing hands on science activities. I'm nominating you for the Liebster Award. Here is the post with the info: Liebster Award

    Using My Teacher Voice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete